Internet traffic and Azureus -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon Sep 24 00:06:19 UTC 2007

Res wrote:
> Hi Bob,

> p2p accounts for >70% of internet traffic, so yes most definately.
>
> In early days we had some plans where we allowed true unlimited, some
> criminals (yes thats what they are since  99.9%R of p2p is illegal
> movie d/l's) were on a 1.5 mb dsl connection exceeding 300 gigs a
> month, thats flat strapping their connection 24/7. Needless to say we
> stopped it, and its because of idiots like them, that most ISP's now
> have limits and/or enforce fair use policies, they think that its a
> 1:1 contention ratio and if they pay $70 a month they are entitled to
> leach 300 gigs, maybe if we started sending them the price of that
> data that costs us, plus the tail costs, plus the agvc costs, plus
> maint costs, plus staff costs, plus a little bit of profit, they would
> soon wake up... or maybe wake up in intensive care after seeing the [$
> value] invoice induced heart attack.
>
>> Aha, therein lies my problem, all this while I had a false sense of
>> security thinking I had thwarted previous efforts with bittorrent
>> which Junior had installed some time ago!
>
> Using a linux box as nat router? search for and get the layer7 patch
> for iptables
>
>> yield.  We've had the kids computer powered off for two days and the
>> usage still trends upward so they are probably off the hook and the
>> finger points
>
> This is one problem people who use p2p all the time forget, you can
> turn your pc off, or even just close p2p programs, people can still be
> swarming your connection for hours to *days* later, whether your
> online for not, some networks simply ignore the fact you are gone,
> even on gnutella/limewire networks where you tell the network you are
> logging off, it still happens, the packets go missing and they all
> think your still there.

Wow, that's discouraging if I understand what you are saying.  I guess
the effect would be intermittent depending on what files the system
thinks you have?  Hopefully it gradually subsides when there is no response?

This ISP uses a 30 day total so it takes some time for our numbers to
improve.

I got the call to supper.  Need to go.

Thanks for the comments.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia