Getting GPilot and J-Pilot to Play Nice In Fedora 7

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Sep 24 04:26:51 UTC 2007

Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
> Hello,
>
>      Has anyone been able to get GPilot and J-Pilot to work correctly
> and consistently in Fedora 7?  I have an IBM ThinkPad T-30 and I use a
> USB cable to sync with a Palm Treo 680.  This device syncs correctly in
> Windows XP (which I also have installed as well) but it does not install
> at all in Fedora 7.  I have trolled around the internet to find
> something that would show how to get my Palm to work correctly in
> Fedora, but have not been able to find something that works
> satisfactorily.  In fact, I can't even get Fedora to see my device  at
> all.  You would think that after 3 months after Fedora 7's release, this
> problem should have been straightened out.  Is anyone working on this or
> do I chalk this problem up to a bad distribution?  I was syncing
> perfectly with both Evolution and J-pilot in FC6.  Any suggestions?

The first thing you have to understand is that the Palm does not
show up as a USB device until you press the sync button. When you
start the sync on the Palm, there are two USB serial ports created.
I don't know why it shows up as 2 devices - you would have to ask Palm.

Now, there is a problem with it showing up as 2 serial ports - some
Palm devices use the first port to sync, and some use the second.
The udev rules that create the pilot symlink work fine with one
type, but not the other. I don't remember if the Treo uses the first
port, or the second port. Eventually someone is going to have to
write a set of udev rules that create the correct symlink based on
the product ID of the palm. I think the old hotplug script did
something like that.

To make matter slightly more complicated, the current console.perms
rules do not change the owner on the serial ports, but do change the
permissions on the port pointed to by the pilot symlink. So if the
symlink points to the wrong port, then you can not access it as a
user, unless you belong to the uucp group. Otherwise you could use
/dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1 instead of /dev/pilot.

Mikkel