dial-up networking

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 06:14:43 UTC 2007

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for replying.

On 9/23/07, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You want to use KPPP, you have not setup your account
> in Fedora 7 using KPPP.  Do you know which is your
> port, modem port /dev/ttyS0 ?
>
> Momentarily, you can use wvdial from a terminal to
> find your port if you do not know it,
> $ su -
> Password:
> # wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
>
> should tell you which is your modem port.  Then look
> for it in KPPP.  If it is there use it, otherwise use
> a symbolic link to it.  When configuring KPPP check
> the box, Automatic redial on No CARRIER, this way the
> modem dials out till it achieves a connection.  You
> may also check out your ISP requirements to meet them.

I have done everything! I even spoke to my dial-up Internet Service
Provider and they told me everything to diagnose my problem and
finally gave up - even though they said they did not support Linux for
their service. However, I used their service for years! (6-7 years!)
and to test it further I tried to use several other dial-up service
providers but ended up with the same weird situation.

I have a valid account and I am using the correct port -ttyS0. The
modem DOES attempt to connect to the Internet using KPPP but abruptly
dies in the middle throwing up an error saying "NO CARRIER DETECTED" -
AND, I am connecting with the same modem form Windows - same machine!
Something has really gone south with Fedora. The thing which is really
strange is why Fedora 6 did work initially for two weeks after I
downloaded it using a DSL connection of one of my acquaintances. I
thought Fedora 7 wouldn't go south but it's the same with Fedora-7.
Now I have really begun thinking that there is really something wrong
with the local telephone exchange ... may be those guys are using some
kinda filters for Windows or something ...!!! God knows! I am too busy
right now and really want to work on Fedora 7 with a working dial-up
Internet connection. But I am having to use Windows. I am just looking
for someone to solve this problem - just wanna connect to the Internet
using F7.

This really is something weird for the Fedora developers to see.
Please have a look at it and make my life easier.

--
Thanks a million in advance,

Asif