dial-up networking

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 24 14:42:40 UTC 2007

On Monday 24 September 2007 2:23:00 am Asif Lodhi wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On 9/24/07, Michael Klinosky <mpk2 at enter.net> wrote:
> > I'd bet that something got updated (a library, or whatever) ...
>
> I am so desperate now that I am really thinking about taking my whole
> machine to one of my friends in the same area and see if it does
> connect from there. After that, I'll try a wireless phone service to
> bypass the land-line exchange altogether.
>
> --
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Asif

Asif:
Before you do that, have you verified that the connection to the telco wiring
works? The easiest way to do that is to plug a telephone into the socket and
listen for a dial tone. If you do get a dial tone, is it immediate or does it
take a few seconds to appear? If so, you can adjust kppp to wait a few
seconds before attempting to make a connection.

Two other suggestions about configuring kppp: First, enable logging. Second,
enable sound during the period when the connection is being made.

-- cmg