Help: GRUB tab completion not working

I'm trying to reconfigure GRUB.

In a VT, (X not running) I hit TAB and (surprise) get a tab!
That is, the cursor just moves over several spaces.

In fact none of the usual bash command-line editing commands work.
Hitting ctrl-a (beginning of line) gets a "^A" printed to the screen.

Running:  Fedora 7 w/ all updates
          kernel-2.6.22-5-76
          x86_64 system

Is this a known bug, or something I've done to my system?
If it's my system how do I proceed to debug it?

Dean