Internet traffic and Azureus -

Res res at ausics.net
Mon Sep 24 21:41:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Andy Green wrote:

> *shrug* best to say "yes that's what they are *in my country*" then,
> because there must be a lot of places where is a civil issue.

Or more to the point nobody here should assume everything is uniform, this
is an international user list.

>> So.. you are saying we should offer these crims 300 gigs a month for 70
>
> These people downloading media files, which you assume are violating any
> laws, and choose to label "criminals"... what about all the YouTube,
> iTunes, the various legit movie and TV episode download sites that all

I spend a lot of time on youtube, I also watch certain shows from the US
via CBS (I think it is) since the local networks stopped importing and
showing some of those shows, I stream the bbc many hours a day, I do
critical DB backups daily to my home desktop (just an extra part of
off-site backing up) and it'd be lucky to hit 50 gigs a month, and thats
a big effort, there is no way you can stream legal material that uses
300G a month, and you and I both know it, to tink otherwise is to be blind
and nieve, and smells of " i'm not doing anything wrong no on no not me
ever" heard it a trillion times before, and SEEN it!

When I was dealing with speed complaints, you only have to look at the
port and you can see what they are doing, encrypted data? no problems,
lock and unlock their port, they restart their p2p, and we can see what
they are doing, i have had so many deny it to me whilst im on the phone
talking to them, and i'm seeing they are downloading the latest yet to be
released in this country movies, but then again, have you ever known a
criminal to admit what they are doing is wrong without being caught, have
you ever known a spamemr to think what he/she is doing is spamming, its
all denials, adn we see right through you :)

> I'm on an unlimited 20Mbps cable connection... along with what must be
> hundreds of thousands of others here in the UK -- it's not cheap but
> it's not a "business plan".  Your idea of what is possible and what is
> good customer service for ISPs seems pretty messed up.  In the future

The cost of data to Australia is expensive, courtesy of the american
tier 1 extortionate interconnects, we can pay anywhere up to 30 times
what U.S ISPs do per data (they blame it on the loooooooonnnnggggg trans
pacific haul), so there will never be such a thing as true unlimited on
a survivable business model in this country :)
Certainly not in any forseeable future.

--

Cheers
Res