re: Help for a newbie

Lauren:
Please help. Installed Fedora 7 from a disk in Linux-Mag.
> After first and every boot I am asked for a user ID and password.
> I can get into root but do not know how to bring up the GUI.

If I understand your question, I believe that you want the system to auto-log in a certain user.

To do that:
In the menu bar (the main menu, for the OS), choose 'System', then 'Administration', then 'Login Screen'.

A window will appear. Click the 'Users' tab, and make sure that "Include all users ..." is checked. Then, click on the 'Security' tab, and check 'Enable automatic login'. Then, just below that, select the user from the drop menu.

I'm a semi-newbie.   :)