centos level 3

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Sep 25 00:22:25 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 17:17 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 23:11:42 +0000
> tony.chamberlain at lemko.com wrote:
>
> > booting up our linux (CentOS) into normal level 5 causes a problem.
> > Somehow it freezes up. I would like to boot into level 3 but do not
> > know how. Can anyone suggest?
>
> Just hit e at the grub menu and put a 3 as the last thing on the line.

Clarification:

At the grub menu, hit "E".

In the next window, use the arrow keys to put the cursor on the line
that starts with the word "kernel".

Hit "E" again, and use the arrow keys to go to the end of that line.

Add a space and the digit 3.  It should look sorta like:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-76.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet 3

Press the <ENTER> key, then press "b" and it should boot to run level 3.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-   You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.    -