Internet traffic and Azureus -

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Sep 25 11:24:40 UTC 2007

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Andy Green wrote:
>
>> There are all sorts of laws in other countries, probably .au too, about
>> what you are allowed to "monitor", especially when it is to do with
>> email.  Just a FYI.
>

> I know the laws vary country to country, i dont need to know what it is
> anywhere but here, I know in some countries they are not permitted to
> monitor anything at all, its not that we do it for the hell of it, its
> because we have a reason, id much rather listen to the radio and drink
> my de-caf :)
>
>> If someone is offering a service at a particular bandwidth, I am paying
>> the bills, then of course if I want to max out that service 24/7 I will
>> do so.  (Typically my traffic too is silent 90% of the time and bursty
>> the rest, but it's not the point).  Whose fault is it they set the
>> contention ratio -- for profit -- too high?  Not mine, I paid for the
>
> you dont run an isp network do you, in fact youve nefver had anything to
> do with running of one have you :) I can tell because you have no
> factual grasp on reality on whats involved.

Nope, but of course I have been a customer of a few and know it well
from that end.

> If you think its a profitable business model to do a 1:1 for 70 bucks a
> month and flatline your conenction 24/7, then why dont you start your
> own ISP :) but, you have to only take on custoemrs like0mionded in other
> words you cant do what every otehr isp doesm and thats allow the ones
> paying teh same dollar as you but barely use 1G a month off-set your costs.

I do agree that it would be better if customers took on some
responsibility for their own regional bulk transfer outside of the ISP,
not least because it will improve their privacy.  I think WiMAX will
start to allow that to happen in the unregulated ISM 5GHz band in the
next years.  It won't replace the ISP or "the internet" but runs
parallel to it and bridges in and out of it as needed.

>> Clearly we are on different sides of the fence on this issue.
>
> of course, you are a user who wants everything for nothing, you know how
> many times  ive heard your line of reasoning before over the past 10
> plus years? I couldnt tell you, ive lost count, im sure i could easily
> retire by now if i had 5 dollars each time though.

It could even be because that line of reasoning by the aggrieved paying
customers is correct, you never know...

> So well have to agree to disagree

Yep, agreed ;-)

-Andy