Internet traffic and Azureus -

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Tue Sep 25 23:06:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:44:08 +1000 (EST)
Res <res at ausics.net> wrote:

> Do you seriouly think, that 70 dollars a month pays for:

You're focusing on the wrong question.

70 dollars a month does indeed pay for all of those things, if that is what is
being advertised and sold for $70 per month.  The cost to the "wholesaler" is
irrelevant to the price that it's being sold to the end-user from the point of
view of the end-user.

Do I seriously think that it would be reasonable for me to expect to be able to
purchase a new Porsche 911 for $5000? Perhaps not, but if I needed a Porsche 911
and someone is (legally) willing to sell me one for that price then I would be
foolish to turn him down and purchase one for $100,000 elsewhere.

If an ISP advertises "unlimited service" then he should not be surprised if
some of his customers take him up on it.  If I go to an "all-you-can-eat"
buffet I expect to be able to get seconds on my dessert, too.  Whether other
customers ask for a second dessert, whether the waiter thinks I need a second
dessert, and how much it costs the restaurant to make me a second dessert is
irrelevant.  "All you can eat" means just what it says.

It's not difficult to advertise the service that you are actually prepared to
sell.

10GB transfer $x/month
25GB transfer $y/month
100GB transfer $z/month

Your customers can then buy the package that suits their needs and you get to
cover your costs and make a buck.

However, if your competitor across town provides "unlimited service" for
$x/month, then the customers may go there to get their service instead.  It's
called competition.

"Unlimited" has a clear dictionary meaning.  If you mean "less than X GB per
month" then say so.  That's not unlimited.