(fedora) Re: sending ASCII file with mail command (Fedora : OK ; OpenSuse : problem)

Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl
Wed Sep 26 06:19:11 UTC 2007

Mark Knoop wrote on 25-SEP-2007 17:13:30.69
>> Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I try to send an E-mail with the content of an ASCII file as the
>>> body. I do this with the following command mail -s subj
>>> joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl < licinfo.txt
>>>
>>> When I give the command on a Fedora (several versions tested) the
>>> E-mail is recieved with the expected text in the body. If I give the
>>> command on an OpenSuse 10.2 system An E-mail which is unreadable is
>>> recieved at the other end.
[snip]
>Another idea: does it work any differently if you try:
>
>cat licinfo.txt | mail -s subj joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl
Should be equivalent to my original command. and as someone at the opensuse
mailing pointed out it only complicates the command by an "extra" command cat.
He called it no-op piping.

>mail on Fedora is provided my the mailx package - is it the same on
>Suse? Which version?
>
>$ rpm -qf `which mail`
>mailx-8.1.1-46.fc7
Fedora : mailx-8.1.1-46.fc7
OpenSuse : mailx-12.1-24

I'm wondering if things get broken by the newer version of mailx. Is that
the reason why it is not included in Fedora, which is normally a "bleeding
edge" version

              Jouk

Bush : All votes are equal but some votes are more equal than others.

  Jouk Jansen

  joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl

  Technische Universiteit Delft        tttttttttt  uu     uu  ddddddd
  Kavli Institute of Nanoscience       tttttttttt  uu     uu  dd    dd
  Nationaal centrum voor HREM              tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Lorentzweg 1                             tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  2628 CJ Delft                            tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Nederland                                tt      uu     uu  dd    dd
  tel. 31-15-2782272                       tt       uuuuuuu   ddddddd