Grub installation on a USB external disk

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 20:14:47 UTC 2007

2007/9/26, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>:
> antonio montagnani wrote:
> > Tim&Mikkel
> >
> > tnx for help.
> > At the moment I have to suspend my work, as this morning, when I
> > booted the pc from my USB disk, it didn't recognize only the /boot
> > partition: the same when I connected the same USB disk to another PC.
> > I hope to recover the situation this evening at home, by the Fedora
> > DVD running an installation.
> >
> What kind of error are you getting? Are you getting a grub error, or
> an error after the kernel takes over? Something I didn't think about
> is that you may not have the correct USB drivers in your initrd
> file. Not usually a problem, but it could be here. If I remember
> correctly, there was a fairly large age difference in the laptops.
>
> Mikkel
> --
>
>   Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!
>

> --

a grub error, saying that:
error 17: cannot mount selected partition

I am booting from the CD: note that if I connect the same USB disk to
another working computer I can see only /boot while LVM partition
seems to be disappeared.
If I run fdisk -l I see that an LVM partition is present... I suppose
that I have to change thread title ;-)
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag