Grub installation on a USB external disk

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Sep 26 20:24:39 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>>> If it's on both drives, and the same partition number, it shouldn't
>>> matter.  It ought to work either way, it'd just use whichever drive it
>>> thought was hd0 at that time.  Alternative, you can comment it out and
>>> just have a textual screen.
>

> Mikkel L. Ellertson:
>> In this case, the OP only has windows on the laptop drive, so
>> changing the settings or disabling the splash screen are the only
>> options. He was booting from a boot CD, so the USB drive was the
>> second BIOS drive. But the new laptop can boot from a USB drive, and
>> the USB drive is the first BIOS drive when you do that. It makes
>> things interesting when doing the install.
>
> Though the splash screen graphics is in the boot location, along with
> the kernel (albeit in a sub-directory, but that doesn't have to be the
> case).  Where ever you're getting the boot kernel from, you ought to be
> able to get the graphics, too.  That lends itself to other interesting
> posibilities, like different graphics depending on where you boot from.
> You can customise it to your heart's content.

The splash screen does not have to be on the same partition as the
kernel, much less the same drive. But it does have to be on a drive
the BIOS can access. (Grub uses the BIOS to access the drives.) If I
am reading thing right, it also has to be on the same file-system
type as the kernel images are. (Each 1.5 stage only understands one
file system type.) I do not think that Grub hard-codes the splash
screen graphics location. Because there isn't a NTFS stage 1.5, I
don't think you can put the files on a NFTS.

Mikkel