Moving F7

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Thu Sep 27 00:08:12 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 17:47 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > I am with Karl on this one.
> >
> > On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 15:32 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> >

> >>     OK the disk is the new one. What modules are being talked about?
> >> What is a module?
> >>

> > What is a module?  I have wondered about this for two years.
> >
> > "In computing, loadable kernel modules, or LKM, are object files that
> > contain code to extend the running kernel, or so-called base kernel, of
> > an operating system. Most current Unix-like systems, and Microsoft
> > Windows, support loadable kernel modules, although they might use a
> > different name for them, such as "kernel extension" ("kext") in Mac OS
> > X. The Linux kernel generally makes far greater and more versatile use
> > of LKM's than other systems. LKM's are typically used to add support for
> > new hardware and/or filesystems, or for adding system calls. When the
> > functionality provided by an LKM is no longer required, it can be
> > unloaded in order to free memory.
> >
> > Without loadable kernel modules, an operating system would have to have
> > all possible anticipated functionality already compiled directly into
> > the base kernel. Much of that functionality would reside in memory
> > without being used, wasting memory, and would require that users rebuild
> > and reboot the base kernel every time new functionality is desired. Most
> > OSes supporting loadable kernel modules will include modules to support
> > most desired functionality.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loadable_kernel_module
> >
>     I went to this web page and it says no-one understands this. What a
> barfing crap that is. Why not just tell me?

I would tell you if I could.

Karl, I copied this page to show others how little info there is on the
subject of modules and how useless that info is as an answer for a
simple question.  I.E.  What is a module?

I agree with you.  I too want to know what a module is.  The questions I
asked where potential answers that I hoped people who know more than me
would use as a guide.

--
Regards Bill