Confused on latest updates

Doug Wyatt dwyatt at sunflower.com
Thu Sep 27 07:22:56 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 18:06 -0500, Doug Wyatt wrote:
>> I've received notifications of new F7 updates, yet they
>> don't seem to be available for download.  Aren't the
>> update files usually in place before notifications are
>> sent out?
>>
>> There's a kmod-nvidia available, but not the new kernel
>> on which it depends.
>>
>> My standard repos are Fedora and Livna.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Doug Wyatt
>>
> I assume by Fedora you mean also fedora-updates. Yes?
> --
> Be nice to people on the way up, because you'll meet them on your way
> down. -- Wilson Mizner
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net

Yes ...
     fedora-development.repo
     fedora-updates-testing.repo
     fedora-updates.repo
     fedora.repo
     livna-devel.repo
     livna-testing.repo
     livna.repo

It appears that I'm not alone in noticing that the latest kernel,
kernel-2.6.22.7-85.fc7.i686, has been something of a problem.

I've had no problem installing kernel updates before this.  I did
install the fastestmirror plugin since then, but disabling it
hasn't helped.  I can see the RPM file kernel-2.6.22.7-85.fc7.i686.rpm
on <http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/7/i386/>,
though I didn't see it there before my last post.

Yum just tells me the kernel package is a missing dependency.  Weird!
And in yumex, only '2.6.22.5-76' series kernels are displayed under
the 'Available' context, possibly because that's the one I'm currently
running.  I've tried both yumex and 'yum update'; and 'yum search
kernel' finds no new kernels.

Is this likely to be a repository problem?  Running yum with debugging
on (yum -v -d 10 update) wasn't helpful.

Thanks for the response.
Doug Wyatt