Moving F7

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Sep 27 13:02:48 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:

>> Unless you compiled the kernel yourself,
>> you are almost certain to have all necessary disk-drive modules already,
>> in /lib/modules/<version>/kernel/ata/ .
>     Tim I just looked at the new 85 kernel and there is no such thing as
>
> /lib/modules/<version>/kernel/ata/
>
> so what did you mean?

I should have said

        /lib/modules/2.6.22.5-76.fc7/kernel/drivers/ata

>     By the way I did copy with dd the entire F7 from my old to new IDE
> hard drive. It would not boot. It was not a grub problem. It was a
> kernel panic because initrd was wrong and perhaps the kernel was wrong
> IF you need to change that.

I'm not certain about this, but I don't think you are right.
You are certainly wrong about the kernel,
which just comes with the kernel RPM.
But I think you are also wrong about initrd too -
that comes with the kernel RPM too, IIRC.
I don't think when a new kernel is installed mkinitrd is run.

I would strongly suspect that the problem either lay
with grub not knowing the partition setup on your new disk,
or else with the labelling or naming of the partitions on the disk.

I would suggest that if you intend to do this kind of thing again
it would be well worth your time (a) getting knoppix,
and (b) spending 10 minutes seeing how to run grub interactively.
This isn't documented well, but on the other hand is not very difficult.