moving F7

Roberto Malinverni roberto.malinverni at dico.coop.it
Thu Sep 27 13:29:35 UTC 2007

Karl, sorry for my late answer - I'm at work now and I can't read all the
thread, so I hope
I'm not misunderstanding something.
I imagined that you have a F7 installation in PC A and that you want to
clone it (with something like partimage) and move it as it is to PC B or to
a bigger disk on the same pc with maybe a different partition layout.
For this to work, after cloning and restoring the partitions, you have to
boot from a rescue cd, mount / and /boot, edit fstab and grub.conf so that
they point to the correct (new) root partition.
I suggested a possible need of rebuilding the initrd in case you need to
pre-load kernel modules for accessing your hardware on the new PC. For
instance, if on PC B the hard disk is connected to a sata controller that
your old maindboard hadn't, you now need to load the right sata driver. If
this is not the case, you don't have to worry about modules.
I remember on the Fedora Forum some useful thread about cloning
installations - take a look in the howto section.
Roberto

--
Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'