daemon server using perl

Everyone,

I would like to create a daemon server that could be used like sendmail,
dovecot etc.  I would like it to monitor a specified port for queries
from a local network, and pass the queries to a database that is not
mysql or postgresql, and return the results to the same port,

I do not  have experience in C so I would prefer to use perl.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial?

Thanks,

Greg