daemon server using perl

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Sep 28 01:58:33 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 08:10:21PM -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> I would like to create a daemon server that could be used like sendmail,
> dovecot etc.  I would like it to monitor a specified port for queries
> from a local network, and pass the queries to a database that is not
> mysql or postgresql, and return the results to the same port,
> I do not  have experience in C so I would prefer to use perl.
> Can anyone point me to a tutorial?

Sure.

Here's the basics:

  <http://www.perlfect.com/articles/sockets.shtml>
  <http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Perl/Socket-Programming-in-PERL/>

You'll want to understand that. *But*, rather than reinventing the wheel in
your own program, you might want to use the Net::Server module, available in
Fedora in the perl-Net-Server rpm.