Hard Drive data rates

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Sep 28 17:50:32 UTC 2007

    I was lead to mis-understand the data rate of my new SATA hard
drive. It indicated that the data rate was 3 GB/sec. But some checking
with Google said the Hard Drive makers are very free with their units.
To be specific a SATA drive is 3000 MegaBits/second. This boils down to
about 375 MB.

    The old standard IDE parallel 40 pin plug is rated for a rate of 112
MB at the fastest to 78 GB at the slowest part of the platter. So in my
case I will not see a huge change moving to my SATA hard drive. I will
stay here on the new IDE much longer.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User