Hard Drive data rates

I was lead to mis-understand the data rate of my new SATA hard drive. It indicated that the data rate was 3 GB/sec. But some checking with Google said the Hard Drive makers are very free with their units. To be specific a SATA drive is 3000 MegaBits/second. This boils down to about 375 MB.

The old standard IDE parallel 40 pin plug is rated for a rate of 112 MB at the fastest to 78 GB at the slowest part of the platter. So in my case I will not see a huge change moving to my SATA hard drive. I will stay here on the new IDE much longer.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User