strange ssh performance issues

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Fri Sep 28 17:56:09 UTC 2007

Kevin Kempter wrote:
> This is quite frustrating, however I'm a DBA and have
> limited networking knowledge. Does anyone have any thoughts?, suggestions?,
> comments?

I don't know if that's the case here, but I've seen ssh take a long time
to display the password prompt, when there's DNS issues. When you
connect to an ssh server it usually does a reverse lookup on the IP
address of the client trying to connect. If for some reason this reverse
lookup takes a long time to perform, eg DNS server unavailable, circular
DNS entries etc then it takes a while for the password prompt to appear.

--
Ian Chapman.