AB9 Pro Motherboard SATA/AHCI installation problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Sep 28 19:53:23 UTC 2007

Chris G wrote:
> As I reported here earlier I have installed Fedora 7 on my system with
> a view to replacing Slackware.   In an effort to try and sort out the
> problems with Fedora 7 stopping I decided to upgrade the BIOS.  I have
> installed the version 21 BIOS for the AB9 Pro and it has caused a very
> odd problem...
>
> After upgrading the BIOS Fedora wouldn't boot any more, it loaded the
> kernel and then fell in a crumpled heap unable to see the disks.  I
> thought this might be because the SATA interface needed to be switched
> to AHCI mode but on doing this the disks are no longer visible at all at
> boot time so the system refuses to even start booting.
>
> So I have set the SATA disks back to IDE mode, and noticed that my old
> Slackware installation still boots (using the grub loader installed by
> Fedora!).  Why does my Slackware still boot when Fedora can't seem to
> see the disks at all?
>
> 	Not knowing everything it sounds like the new bios may have changed the order of the hard drives, and what your calling /dev/sda4 should now be /dev/sdb4. Or the reverse.

    I have a SATA and a IDE hard drive. If I use the SATA HD it becomes
by magic /dev/sda. If I run the IDE HD it becomes /dev/sda and the SATA
becomes /dev/sdf!
When I am using the Rescue CD SATA is /dev/sda and IDE is /dev/sdb.

    If your having this problem I suggest you learn how yours is working
and then make sure Grub is calling the right place.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User