No Sound after installing Fedora 7

Richard England rlengland at verizon.net
Sat Sep 29 06:22:51 UTC 2007

jatin davey wrote:

> in the system admin when i give a test play i didnt get any sound and
> then a message popped up asking me whether i heard the sound, cicked
> on no and got message asking me to file a bug in redhat.com
>

>     ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>     Message: 1
>     Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:53:55 -0500
>     From: Aaron Konstam
>     Subject: Re: No Sound after installing Fedora 7
>     To: For users of Fedora
>
>     On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 18:47 +0100, jatin davey wrote:
>     > Hi
>     >
>     > after installing fedora 7 in my toshiba laptop (A 135 - s2386)
>     > i am not getting any sound in my laptop
>     >
>     > installed all the mp3 codecs and video codecs but still no sucess.
>     > googled it and got some results asking me to change some source code
>     > in the alsa base file under /etc dir.
>     >
>     > please let me know the detailed steps as i am a new user in linux.
>     >
>     What did: System->Admininistration-> Soundcard Detection tell you?
>     In other words was the card detected?
>     Next step run alsamixer and adjust the levels of each channel.
>     Channels with MM at their base should be changed to 00 at their
>     base by
>     typing 'm'.
>
>     --
>     =======================================================================
>     enhance, v.: To tamper with an image, usually to its detriment.
>     Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net
>

> <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_webmessenger_10/*http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php>
Converting to bottom post and trimmed.

Investigate the settings you see when you execute  the command
"alsamixer".  Type in a "?"  for the help page.    Un-mute or set the
levels higher and see if that allows you hear any sound.

...oh, and just in case,....make certain the volume on your speakers is
turned up.

~~R