Re: SATA and IDE Hard Drives

Eric J. Feldhusen wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

Well today with hdparm I learned what I should have guessed. The difference in data flow is not enough to even think about. I paid $70.00 for my SATA and it is just not what I had hoped for. It is just a newer design of the old IDE and not much faster. I will use it but not for anything but another kind of thing. Maybe F9.

Are your drives and motherboard SATA II capable? If they are, you will see a performance increase over the old PATA(IDE/ATA) drives.

Eric Feldhusen

As I recall this new motherboard said something like SATA ATA. So I was too green to read what I should have into that. I do not have SATA II but will locate my motherboard book and make sure.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User