SATA and IDE Hard Drives

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Sep 29 16:41:52 UTC 2007

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sat September 29 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> As I recall this new motherboard said something like SATA ATA. So I was
>> too green to read what I should have into that. I do not have SATA II
>> but will locate my motherboard book and make sure.
>>

> TigerDirect has a habit of offering seemingly great-sounding deals but
> usually, they're just cleaning out previous technology inventory. You have to
> really know the technology and read between the lines and all the fine lines
> to know exactly what you're getting -- most of the big box retailers do the
> same, but I've found Tiger to be a little more blatant about it with their
> big in-your-face hyper-exagerated advertising

    Yes they do show everything in it's best light. I bought a "package
deal" which sounded good and was. I got a small black box from Ultra
Micro Fly and it is a "Micro ATX Case" which has things you unscrew and
you put the mother board on a tray on your desk to mount the cpu and
such things. The hard drives have a holder that you take out and screw
them in and then screw the holder back in.

    The mother board has everything and after nVIDIA provided the Linux
drivers for the video card everything works. The cpu is twice as fast as
my old one. So I got a new computer for $150.00 and didn't have to pay
for Windows of course.

    It has a 2 SATA plug but it is not the SATA II which I learned about
today. It says the SATA data goes to the pci buss. It works but not as
fast as I thought.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User