basic question about assigning ip address

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Sep 30 03:16:28 UTC 2007

Peter Horst wrote:
> I have a Fedora machine I'm using as a home server, without a keyboard
> or monitor. I'd like to set it up such that upon rebooting it first
> checks to see if there is a DHCP server on the network, and if so, grabs
> an ip address from it.  But if there isn't one, it assigns itself a
> static address.  Is this doable?

FWIW, even if it is doable it doesn't make much sense to me.

If it is a "server" then you'd be better using a static IP address so that
all of the clients won't be wondering what IP address is in effect.  Of
course you could set up a dynamic DNS but unless you are serving a large
community it sounds like too much effort.

It sounds like you have a small home network and can control things.  If so,
just go with static IP's and make life simple...IMHO.

Ask yourself "why" you'd want to do this and what advantage do you think
you'd attain.