php-gd depency problem

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 09:09:07 UTC 2007

On 30/09/2007, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Michael Schwendt <mschwendt <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Meanwhile I've heard back from the Updates System Maintainer.
> > php-5.2.4-1.fc7 was "unpushed" (that is a notion specific to the
> > Fedora Updates System "bodhi") by the package maintainer according to
> > the logs. It's unbelievable that something like that is possible for a
> > stable dist, as users have fetched and installed the updates already.
> > It has never been possible according to release policies to withdraw a
> > released update from the repositories or to downgrade to an older
> > version-release. It will be continued to look into this matter.
>
> It was done at least once (in pre-F7 times, maybe FC6, FC5 or so) for a broken
> kernel upgrade. The maintainer decided that it's better to withdraw the broken
> update to minimize damage until it's fixed. It may well be that this is what
> happened here too.

Brown paper-bag situations ask for announcements of some sort.
Especially when it's a serious [dangerous] bug in a kernel which may
have been installed by our precious users already. It would be a
really bad joke to pull such an update _silently_ without informing
the package users.

> I have reopened the update request and added the Security keyword.

Luke Macken has pushed back php-5.2.4-1.fc7 into updates.