Recommendation for Fedora server?

ed at hp.uab.edu ed at hp.uab.edu
Sun Sep 30 14:22:11 UTC 2007

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> ed at hp.uab.edu wrote:
>
>> I have been running for four years a VIA C3 800Mhz computer, with 512MB of
>> RAM, and a pair of 80GB IDE drives. It pulls 45 watts from the wall when
>> idle - and 55 when 'crunching' away.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> I've been a little surprised, looking at a few setups, how little energy
> one can save. My incredibly ancient PIII with 2 SCSI disks and one IDE
> disk, seems to use just over 80 watts in normal usage. I was sort of
> expecting I'd be able to get this down to 20-30 watts, but the really
> low power systems I've looked at all seem deficient in one way or
> another.

Well don't give up so fast. For example, Western Digital offers the
Carvier GP line of drives that idle at 4 watts. And you could to use 2.5
inch drives from laptops, the Scorpio from Western Digital idles at 2
watts.

I would consider spinning down the drives, only if I had laptop drives.
They are small and light - so much less wear and tear.

Another option is Flash, for the '/' partition. Then laptop drives for the
data. 4GB Compact flash media is about $50. You could make the 20 watts.

ed