2.6.24.x kernel crash when swap used

Peter McNeil peter at mcneils.net
Thu Apr 3 13:30:45 UTC 2008

Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 02/04/2008, Peter McNeil <peter at mcneils.net> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>  Any Ideas what might be happening? Surely it can't just be my machine???
>>

> Well, if you give a little more detail about the test you're running I
> can try and reproduce it on similar hardware - what's "stress" ?
>
> J.

Stress is a stress testing program, however *anything* that fills up
physical memory and needs swap causes the problem for me (I'm a java
developer so my IDE and a few other programs can do that).

You may have memhog installed, if you have say 2GB memory then try
memhog 2g and it will begin filling up memory, that should do it.

Cheers,
Peter.