problems with dial-up

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Apr 9 21:11:36 UTC 2008

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Mikkel:
>> Do you have any other network interfaces?
>
> No (just that one).
>
>> If you have a default route set, then it is
>> probably not going to be changed when the PPP connection comes up.
>
> I didn't explicitly set the default route. Do I need to?
No, it will be done for you. but if you set one, then the PPP daemon
will not set one for you.

>> If you can ping by IP address, but not host name, then check
>> /etc/resolv.conf to make sure the name servers are being updated.
>
> I didn't check a system that has a name (just my dsl-connected machine).
> I'll try a named system.
>
> Bruce:
Dumb question - are you trying to connect to your DSL connected
machine from another machine you that you are using a dialup
connection on? If so, do you have a hardware/software firewall
between that machine you are trying to connect to and the Internet?

If I understand things correctly now, you are trying to connect to a
web server on your DSL connected machine from another machine using
a dialup connection. This may be blocked at several places. Your ISP
may block incoming port 80 connections. If you have a hardware
firewall/router, it will also block this by default. If you are
running a firewall on the DSL machine, it may also be set to block
the connection.

Mikkel