Biometrics

Germán Carrera gcarrera2 at alumno.uned.es
Thu Apr 17 20:19:39 UTC 2008

max bianco wrote:
> 2008/4/17 Chris <racerx at makeworld.com>:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:44:58 -0700
>>  Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> wrote:
>>
>>  > Chris wrote:
>>  > > Greetings,
>>  > >
>>  > > I have this nifty laptop that I removed XP from but would love to
>>  > > use the fingerprint reader.
>>  > >
>>  > > Is there such software to use w/Fedora?
>>  >
>>  > Depends on the scanner.  On my HP DV6000, libfprint works.  It's an
>>  > AuthenTec scanner with a USB ID of 08ff:2580.
>>
>>  I'm guessin not then. Modprobe uinput returns nothing and dmsg isn't
>>  much help either.
>>

>>  --
>>  Best regards,
>>
>>  Chris
>>
>>  ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
>>  /\  www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments
>>
>>         "There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
>>
>> --
>>

> Last time I looked the fingerprint scanners were easy to trick. I
> chalked it up to a waste of time to even bother with it. They any
> better now? I 'll see if I can dig up the how-to, I'm sure someone
> will ask. Now a retinal scanner that would be fun to play with and
> hopefully hard to impossible to beat.
>
> Max

Hi (sorry for my English),

I'm using the fingerprint without problems with fedora 8. Is very useful
for the term and launch sudo commands.

If the laptop is a thinkpad you can get some information searching for
your model at.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installation

I don't know If it works with another kind of laptop.

Best