Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Chris Rosewarne chris at chrisnet.id.au
Wed Apr 23 01:02:59 UTC 2008

Redhat as a US company can not distribute code that infringes on US
patents as this would leave them open to huge lawsuits. They also cannot
even link to information or packages on how to install this code, as
this could be interpreted as 'contributory infringement' and also leave
them open to lawsuits. If Redhat left themselves open to this
possibility they would rightly be crucified by their shareholders.

Now Mark may have deep pockets and have slipped under the radar so far,
but it is a really risky and irresponsible strategy, especially as a lot
of newcomers using his distribution may be left high and dry.

-Chris