grub vs. me

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Apr 23 16:54:47 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> What is more
> interesting is that your edited version has root on /dev/sda3. Is this
> consistent with the partition you have marked as bootable (see fdisk)?
>
> poc

It does not need to be marked bootable. It does need to be the
correct partition for the root partition. For that matter, the root
partition does not need to be a primary partition. Depending on your
BIOS, you may need one partition marked as bootable, but this is not
requirement for Grub or booting Linux.

I have one system here with the /boot partition marked as bootable,
andther where the Windows partition is marked as bootable, and an
old RH7.3 system without a partition marked as bootable. All work fine.

Mikkel