F9 - Network interface disabled after each reboot

Christopher Mocock chris at wavestore.com
Fri Apr 25 09:29:20 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm having a strange problem with Fedora 9 Preview. At first I couldn't
get my network port to be configured by Network Manager. There are no
details of it in the NetworkManager configuration screens and I can't
"Add" it as all the buttons are greyed out.

Frustrated by the inability to do anything with NM, I decided instead to
use system-config-network. The NIC is listed there so I configured it,
made sure to check the "start interface on boot" button. Unticked the
box which lets NetworkManager control the interface.

Now when I activate the interface in system-config-network, it works
fine, but every time I reboot it's disabled again.

I've tried unchecking the "Enable Networking" button in NetworkManager
but that makes no difference - and annoyingly is always checked again
after a reboot.

System-wise, I started with the F9 Preview and have done a couple of yum
updates so I'm up-to-date. The onboard NIC is an Intel 82562EZ 10/100
(e100 module).

Any ideas why this might be happening? Is Network Manager likely to be
the culprit, and if so, is it fairly safe to uninstall?

Thanks in advance,

--
Chris Mocock