Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 28 00:14:56 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> BTW Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, *buntu do not include
> mp3 playback from the very beginning, but they are
> easy to add supposedly.  The other distros that do
> include the mp3 playback, have not been sued, or I do
> not know of any that has.  What is illegal about
> including the code?

We cannot wait for being sued to prove it. Like Microsoft has learned
recently, that's a quite a lengthy and costly affair.

http://www.news.com/2100-1027_3-6161760.html

There is no US based distribution that includes MP3 playback out of box.
Canonical which is the commercial/legal entity behind Ubuntu is
established (atleast technically) in Isle of Man which is a tax haven
and does not have the same laws nor do they operate in the same
environment or have the same goals.

Rahul