f8: PC dies while using firefox

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Mon Apr 28 16:04:57 UTC 2008

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:04:57 -0500
> Renich Bon Ciric <renich at woralelandia.com> wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been experiencing, lately, some total freezes. The computer just
>> dies:
>> - The mouse won't respond.
>> - The keyboard won't respond.
>> - X can't be restarted
>>

> Are they keyboard lights flashing ?
> Are you using the Nvidia drivers ?

I built a machine about a year ago that started having these same
problems about 4 months ago.  I then changed it back to the nv video
driver (6150 on-board), but the problems persist.

The user is very non expert and has difficulty explaining the symptoms.
Last week we ran lots of diagnostics with no errors.  memtest ran for 30
hours without an error.

Sitting in front of the system for hours, and performing a complete
update (F7)  demonstrates a good machine.  However, 30 minutes after
leaving, the user calls to report another hard lock up.

The user is getting frustrated, and it sure looks to me like a hardware
issue, but the only common denominator in their usage habits is Firefox.