Linux is KING - Couldn't be hacked - Mac, Vista went down in flames

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Wed Apr 2 20:30:43 UTC 2008

On 2 Apr 2008 at 18:09, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

From:           	Matthew Saltzman <mjs at clemson.edu>
To:             	hlhowell at pacbell.net, For users of Fedora <fedora-
list at redhat.com>
Date sent:      	Wed, 02 Apr 2008 18:09:32 +0000
Copies to:      	Subject:        	Re: Linux is KING - Couldn't be
hacked - Mac, Vista went down in
	flames
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-
request at redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:fedora-list-
request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:48 -0700, Les wrote:
> > On my punch cards they did.  Every card had a number sequential to the
> > sequence.  The punch we used inserted them automatically.  Well, the
> > programming card did.  The reference number used for calls may have been
> > different, but I don't remember it.
>
> Those weren't line numbers per se (in the sense that BASIC had line
> numbers, for example).  In FORTRAN, an 80-column card was divided into
> fields:
>
> Column 1: 'C' indicated a comment line, ' ' a code line.

Columnt 1-5: is for line numbers and on many compilers they had to be right
aligned.

> Column 2-6: Statement label numbers.  These were arbitrary numbers used
> as targets for FORMAT, GOTO and "computed GOTO" (now *that* was a flow
> control concept!), and DO statements.  These did not have to obey any
> ordering rules.  There was no concept of an if-else block or a while
> loop with a logical test, so flow control was handled by GOTOs of some
> variety.  Targeted statements were usually CONTINUE statements (no-ops),
> because there was some ambiguity regarding when the targeted statement
> was actually executed, and because it made reorganizing the flow a bit
> easier (especially with punchcards[1]).

Column 6: Was used for continuing information from the previous card.
Generally putting a 1 in column 6 for the first continuation line, and 2, and so
on, but most didn't care. COBOL uses Column 7 for this, and uses a hyphen
if splitting a word or quoted text.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 5,085,758.225981 | EINSTEIN 1,509,008.886094 | ROSETTA
454,237.929708