FC6 mount ntfs-3g problem.

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 22:53:00 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> max wrote:
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>> If you remove the noauto, the init scripts will try to mount the
>>> drive. The problem is, if the drive is not plugged in, the system
>>> will not be able to mount it, and may not boot. (It is a USB drive.)
>>> If there is an entry in /etc/fstab, then the hotplug auto-mounting
>>> will not work.
>> Why would the box fail to boot? Assuming the drive does not contain
>> any system files needed at startup shouldn't it just make a note of
>> the missing drive in a log and keep going. You hinted at something
>> related to it being a USB drive.....
>>
> The OP said it was a USB drive. The problem is that the system has no
> way of knowing what is on the drive, and will cause the system to boot
> into the single user mode so you can fix the problem if the drive is not
> there.
I see......i was thinking that the files needed for the system to start
would be verified or accounted for early in the boot process but I
obviously don't know enough about the boot process to comment further....

>>> If I remember correctly, auto-mounting in FC6 works better if the
>>> partition has a name. If the NTFS partition was names SHARED, then
>>> the drive partition would get mounted on /media/SHARED. This also
>>> works in later versions. Changing the permissions and mount options
>>> different than using fstab, and involves learning a different set of
>>> rules. But tools are being developed to make it easier.
>>
>> If FC6 supports automounting the drive then why was an entry in fstab
>> needed in the first place?
>> Am i missing something that should be obvious here?
>>
>> Max
>>
> Because options other then the default ones are wanted.
The default is to automount the drive when hotplugged but the OP wants
to do it manually?
I seem to be suffering from a serious lack of knowledge and imagination....
HI HO HI HO Its off to google i go(to learn more about the boot process,
i don't think any amount of googling will tell me the OP reason for not
letting the drive automount...if you don't want it mounted then unplug
it or if it is always there then let it mount at boot time)!!

Max