Punch Cards.

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Apr 3 16:25:22 UTC 2008

Michael Weiner wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com
> <mailto:lesmikesell at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Gerhard Magnus wrote:
>

>         I worked in a "computer room" once, a long time ago -- do they still
>         have these? The hard drives were as big as washing machines and
>         rattled
>         as if they were on spin cycle.
>

>     They do still have computer rooms and for some reason they just keep
>     sucking more and more power to run and more air conditioning to cool.
>

> http://www.computersciencelab.com/ComputerHistory/HistoryPt4.htm
>
> Enjoy the walk back!!!!
> Michael Weiner

Thank you for the link.

It was nice to see the TTY there.  I remember having a Star Trek program
on paper tape.  Let it roll down the outside of the residence building
at school.  It was over 10 stories long.

We were the lucky ones in the second year.  We had a TI terminal that
had a cassette tape in it.  No more punch cards or paper tape for us.  :)

PDP 8's and PDP 11's with the bootloader mylar tape were fun as well.

Now I feel old again.

--
Robin Laing