nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 3 21:25:13 UTC 2008

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Alan wrote:
>> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Waleed Harbi wrote:
>>>Try download nvidia driver from Nvidia web site, then download the
>>>kernel-dev rpm via yum after that start the installation in level 3.
>>>Nvidia they have driver for linux, and it is working fine with me.
>>>
>>>On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
>>
>> The kernels video API was changed withn the first 2.6.25 release
>> candidate,
>> and the driver available in the .12.run package will not build on 2.6.25-x
>> kernels, unless they have released a new driver in the last 24 hours or
>> so.
>> I gave up, there is now an ati based 2400HD in this system.  But I can't
>> watch tv with tvtime now, that overlay interface is missing from the
>> radeonhd
>> driver.
>
>Check the nVIDIA forums.  There is a patch for this problem available for
>download.

Yes, and I have it, but it fails to apply.  The patch instructs are a bit
obtuse to me.  I've watched the errors because they can't code worth a damn
go by even when it says the build is good, been doing it for a couple of
years.  Strange things have happened in that 2 years too, such as getting
LSN0 wiped clean at least once.  Screw it, I need something more stable than
NVIDIA's own drivers have proven to be.

>> As a tv engineer, that sucks, so I'm damned either way.
>
>As a tv engineer, you are damned no matter what.

Chuckle.  Either that, or if you are good at it, you get accused of walking on
water, which I have been occasionally.  Even though I've been given the rolex
and retired into a transmitter maintenance role for 4 years now, the phone
still rings when the SHTF.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)