Linux is KING - Couldn't be hacked - Mac, Vista went down in flames

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 3 21:58:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 08:46 -0500, George Yanos wrote:
> Speaking as a geezer who still has thousands of punch cards in the
> basement, and carefully picked a color laserjet partly on the basis of
> its ability to print on them, punch cards were only rarely hacked.
>
> You could get the attention of the old phone company by sending back
> your punch card bill slip with different holes than the cards had when
> they sent them.

Hahaha.  I'm kind of surprised that they'd give something out to clients
that'd make them vulnerable.

Way back when I worked in a library, we used barcode labels on each item
for the library management system.  We'd have people return things with
extra lines coloured in the barcode, who always swore that they didn't
do it, and it must have been like that when they borrowed it.  It never
occurred to them that we knew that was rubbish.  The items were scanned
on the way out, and back on the way in.  If it was tampered with
beforehand, they'd have errored when first scanned.  We made them stump
up the cash for relabeling.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.