chmod 666 ///

Bruce Hyatt brucejhyatt at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 15:27:15 UTC 2008

--- Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Possibly all he needs to get X going is 'chmod +t /tmp'.

I tried this first and it didn't work.

> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 13:12 -0400, Andrew Parker wrote:
> >
> > rpm -qa | xargs rpm ----setperms --setugids

This returned "----setperms: unknown option"
So I tried it using "--setperms" and it returned
"chmod: invalid mode string: '[various 7-digit numbers]'"
It seemed to be looping through this with different 7 digit
numbers coming back. The mode string indicates how to set the
permissions.

How would chmod interpret ///? All files and directories 3
layers deep?

I'll have to see if I can get hold of a PC that I can make a
fresh install on to compare the permissions.

Thanks for the help.

Bruce