What will happen? Linux software raid autodetecting on an old array...

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 04:54:55 UTC 2008

Matthew Miller wrote:
> Okay, so, here's the situation. Motherboard on my old computer (a Shuttle)
> went out. Decided to get a new computer, because hey, it was four years old.
>
> New computer came with two new SATA drives, which I've set up to to be
> mirrored with software raid -- partitions /dev/md0 and /dev/md1.
>
> All is good.
>
> Now, had the exact same disk configuration in my old system. If plug in
> those disks into the 3rd and 4th SATA ports, and boot, what will happen?
>
> I hope the RAID autodetect system is smart enough to not get the old
> /dev/md{0,1} mixed up with the new one and eat data. Right?
>
> What Will Happen?

I think it will pick one of each of the mdN devices and ignore the
other.  It won't eat data unless the mismatched disks have matching
UUIDs which is unlikely unless you image-copied them or had synced with
the other set in the past.  If you want it to ignore the new set until
you reconfigure it, fdisk the partition types to something other than FD
so it won't autodetect at boot up.

--

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com