NetworkManager: a tale of two laptops

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Apr 5 13:54:56 UTC 2008

Chris Jones wrote:

>> One other small point.
>> This FAQ says "If NetworkManager isn't connecting to the network you
>> want, try to force it to connect to the network you wish to be connected,
>> and NetworkManager will remember that setting next time."
>> Actually, that is not the case on my laptop, elizabeth.
>> I have entered the information for wrt many times,
>> but I am never offered that AP.
>
> That is because you haven't successfully connected to wrt yet on
> elizabeth. NM will only remember successful connects AFAIK.

1. Actually, I have never successfully connected this laptop
to either of my APs with NM,
so I'm not sure where it gets the info about the "agere" AP from.
(I have connected to "agere" with the network service.)

2. Maybe I misunderstood the remark I cited above.
I assumed that this meant NM would remember the data one gave
even if the connection was unsuccessful.
But I see now it was probably written carelessly.
I did "try" to connect, but unsuccessfully.