kvm or xen on F8 ?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Apr 5 18:01:02 UTC 2008

Matto wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have been following the doc at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Fedora8VirtQuickStart to set up kvm.
> (I first started with xen, but soon discovered the lack of nvidia
> drivers for the xen kernel on domain 0 -- bring on F9!?)
>
> Anyway I didn't get far. I have an error message that looks like this:
>
> [root at localhost ~]# virsh -c qemu:///system list
> Attempting to gain the privilege for org.libvirt.unix.manage.
>
> ** (process:6820): WARNING **: Error doing GetSessionForUnixProcess on
> ConsoleKit: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
> org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files
> polkit-grant-helper: it only makes sense to run polkit-grant-helper as
> non-root
> Failed to gain the privilege for org.libvirt.unix.manage.
>  Id Name                 State
> ----------------------------------
>
> [root at localhost ~]#
>
> I don't have much of a clue as to what this is about (?). Perhaps
> someone can give me a hint. I have a very vanilla install of F8 with a
> dash of livna on a P4. Let me know if you need any more info.

The best I can do is a short list of things to check:
1 - do you have the hardware to run kvm? It needs hardware support in
the CPU.
2 - do you have the kvm-intel (or amd) module loaded and /dev/kvm?
3 - do you have permission to use the device?
4 - do you have the right kvm version loaded?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>