Virtualizing Existing XP Install

Tod tod at stthomasepc.org
Sun Apr 6 01:50:05 UTC 2008

Warning, virtualization newbie...

I've got an install of XP pro, service pack 2 on a standalone machine.
Since I don't use it for more than a few apps I'd like to try out Linux
virtualization with Linux being the primary O/S and windows running on a
virtual machine.

I imagine I'll need to move the windows install maybe using parted,
create a new partition to install linux on, get it installed, along with
the virtualization software, and then get it to fire up windows without
it knowing its running virtually.  I've searched around for instructions
on doing this and really haven't found anything useful.

Is my plan valid?  I'd like to avoid re-installing XP but I will if I
need to.  I plan on sticking with Fedora so I'd appreciate
recommendations on virtualization software.  This is running on an old
AMD Athlon machine so no dual processing going on.

Any pointers, tutorials, or suggestions for doing this on an existing
Fedora machine would be appreciated too.  I have a couple of other boxes
I might like to try virtualization on.

TIA - Tod