Virtualizing Existing XP Install

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 02:09:57 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Tod <tod at stthomasepc.org> wrote:
> Warning, virtualization newbie...
>
>  I've got an install of XP pro, service pack 2 on a standalone machine.
> Since I don't use it for more than a few apps I'd like to try out Linux
> virtualization with Linux being the primary O/S and windows running on a
> virtual machine.
>
>  I imagine I'll need to move the windows install maybe using parted, create
> a new partition to install linux on, get it installed, along with the
> virtualization software, and then get it to fire up windows without it
> knowing its running virtually.  I've searched around for instructions on
> doing this and really haven't found anything useful.
>
>  Is my plan valid?  I'd like to avoid re-installing XP but I will if I need
> to.  I plan on sticking with Fedora so I'd appreciate recommendations on
> virtualization software.  This is running on an old AMD Athlon machine so no
> dual processing going on.
>
>  Any pointers, tutorials, or suggestions for doing this on an existing
> Fedora machine would be appreciated too.  I have a couple of other boxes I
> might like to try virtualization on.
>
>  TIA - Tod

I've done this successfully with VirtualBox. It isn't for the faint of
heart though. You have to use some command line utilities to create a
.vmdk file (which is actually a vmware file) which points to the
partition.

The link to the user manual is

http://www.virtualbox.org/download/UserManual.pdf

Look for section 9.9 page 106. Read it a few times and then when
you'll still confused read it again :)

Pay particular attention to section 9.9.2 and note you will probably
need to use a XP MBR (Master Boot Record). At least I did, some others
on the list may have alternatives.

Also a couple of notes:
-You'll need to re-compile the VirtualBox kernel modules every time
you update for kernel which is pretty easy, just run 'service vboxdrv
setup' as root.
-You'll have to run VirtualBox as root or add your user to the 'disk' group.

Hope you find this helpful!

Richard