What will happen? Linux software raid autodetecting on an old array...

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sun Apr 6 20:52:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 03:25:33PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Now, had the exact same disk configuration in my old system. If plug in
> those disks into the 3rd and 4th SATA ports, and boot, what will happen?

Okay, so, what happens is: the old (newly added to this system on drives now
named sdc and sdd) partitions are ignored and can be made temporarily into
/dev/md2 (and /dev/md3 using)

  sudo /sbin/mdadm --assemble /dev/md2 --uuid=(the proper uuid)

and the uuid can be found with

  sudo /sbin/mdadm --examine --scan

(Thanks for your answers, Les!)