Fedora Mirrors Wanted

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 18:09:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 15:03 +0530, subhodip biswas wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Matt Domsch <mdomsch at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:00:02PM +0530, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> >  > But you should ensure that Fedora project checks that new mirrors have
> >  > at least 25 Mbps connection. For instance, the mirrors mirror.wbut.ac.in
> >  > is very slow. As you know that some speed is lost in the distance the
> >  > data has to cover. This mirror is located in West-Bengal, North-East of
> >  > India. I am living in Maharashtra, South-West of India. The distance
> >  > would be around 3000+ Kms. I get a speed of 4.5-7 Kbps speed on my 128
> >  > Kbps connection with these mirrors while with any other US/Eur Mirror, I
> >  > get 15-30 Kbps.
> >
> In India getting bandwidth of at least 25 Mbps is next to impossible .
> so you need to work with slower ones .
> Wbut mirror got recently upgraded to 8mbps line .
> One more point getting speed from depends on ISP provider (client side
> ) also . Even located just 180 KM from   wbut mirror I wont get
> anything better than 30 KBps . My ISP does permit more than that .
> While some other guys in different ISP gets much better speeds .
>
> >  We have very few mirrors in India to begin with.  While we generally
> >  request mirrors have 100Mbit or faster connections, we will make
> >  exceptions for areas where we have few mirrors and where we have had
> >  little luck finding volunteers to run faster ones.
> >
> >  Matching users to mirrors based on country isn't perfect, and I'm
> >  always open to better algorithms.  I recently added a lookup for
> >  clients and mirrors connected via Internet2 or one of its peers.  If
> >  someone can describe how to better guess the network topology, exactly
> >  for cases such as yours, I'm all ears.

All the more reason to reduce the yum update process, if at all
possible. Via 28.8 it took about 4 hours before the mirrors settled down
on Friday night to where the yum process could proceed to do useful
work. I have not run an entire "update all" process since installing F7.
I can't, for all the mirror problems and/or the dnload failures and pure
slowness of the sqlite.gz business. Please presto that sucker and if
some sort of signal to yum indicating that the mirror isn't available or
sync'ed yet, for yum to jump past, that would be pure-eyed SWEET!  We'd
have the best mechanism for install/updates available on the net. The
Debian camp could eat crow. :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar