Punch Cards.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Apr 7 23:22:08 UTC 2008

On Monday 07 April 2008, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>Tim wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 13:28 -0700, David L. Gehrt wrote:
>>> The disk drive were pretty good EXCEPT the spindle bearings were made of
>>> some space age material prone  to disintegration after a short period of
>>> use.  I knew DEC  was going to be in trouble when  the repair guy stated
>>> that the problem we had with  those bearings was because we were running
>>> UNIX not DEC's VMS OS.
>>
>> I've heard similar bulldust about using Linux being the cause of some
>> problem that it couldn't possibly be.  It makes you wonder whether these
>> people believe their own rubbish, are incompetent, or think that you're
>> stupid.
>
>Or just want to get out of warranty... there was an article (Slashdot
>IIRC) about HP voiding warranty on laptops converted to Linux, even
>though they sell similar models with Linux installed. Never checked it
>out, don't care, but I assume it's true.

That was me, Bill.  The vendor was circuit city, and they were given to
understand right then and there that if I had a hardware problem, and it was
demonstrated to be bad when booted to windows, and they still refused it,
they would see me in court for breach of warranty. (A 3 year warranty was
part of the package deal) I said, under those conditions do you want to make
the sale, or shall I go across the street & see what Staples has, that IS
your choice.  They rang it up, and 3 months later after the dvd writer failed
on its first lightscribe burn, I demo'ed that it was also bad under XP, and
it was replaced with zero arguments.  And the tech who replaced it used badly
worn tools that I bitched about, butchering the screws in the bottom of it,
but was rather impressed with linux & kde since it autobooted to linux.  I
gave him an FC6 install disk to try.  You have to call their bluff and mean
it.  Other than that, its been purring right along for 2 years now, even the
battery is original yet.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)